Skip to main content

SCARY HALLOWEEN CAKE POPS, OOHHH!

   These come from www.bakerella.com.  Super cool looking and easy to make,  maybe you could scare up some time to make a couple dozen of these for your next Howloween party!!


   I’ve been wanting to make eyeball cake pops every Halloween since I made these cake pops back in 2008.



Spooky Sweets

But, when I made these, I was completely focused on making more character-style cake pops instead of objects and challenging myself to do something different. These were really the first ones I made that involved carrying out a theme and making varying shapes without the use of a cutter. I can remember when I made them and how excited I was that they turned out so cute. I couldn’t wait to show them to you. Once I went beyond the basic ball, there was no turning back. I couldn’t stop making them… and still haven’t.


IMG_4075

So this year, I decided to finally make eyeballs. They are an obvious choice for the medium wouldn’t you say.


IMG_3587

Crumbled cake. I know. I know. Red velvet would have been so much more effective here. But, with dark cakes and light colored candy coating, sometimes the shade of the cake can show through the coating slightly.
And I wanted to make sure I could see the whites of my eyes.


IMG_3622


Chilled cake balls.
By the way, here’s the Basic Cake Pop How-to if you don’t know what I mean. It’s not as thorough as the directions in my book, but it will get the job done.
And below is a quick illustration of how I dip.


IMG_3649

First dip the end of your lollipop stick in some of the melted candy coating and insert into a chilled ball. Then insert cake pop into a bowl of melted coating so that the coating is about 3-4 inches deep.


IMG_3654

You want the coating to be deep enough to dip and remove in one motion and without stirring.
If the coating does not completely cover the ball, don’t stir. Just gently rock the stick left and right until the coating completely covers the ball.


IMG_3658

And remove.



IMG_3661

The more fluid your coating, the easier this will be. This is perfect.
You can tap off any excess if necessary.
If your coating is too thick to do this, simply add a little vegetable oil to help thin it out.


IMG_3666

Before the coating sets, place a green candy coating wafer right on the front. It’s the perfect size.
This is my work around since I try to avoid piping whenever possible.
Shaky hands.
Actually, I’m just not that good at it. I definitely could use more practice.


IMG_4093

So deciding to use the wafers really helped make these eyes look spot on.
To decorate these is really easy. You just need a few things.


IMG_4618

Green candy coating *
Red and black edible ink pens (I use Americolor Pens)*
Miniature confetti sprinkles (the white ones, of course)*


And if those are hard to get your hands on, you could always go the piping route.


IMG_4140

Such a cute pair.


IMG_4156

Does anyone feel like they’re being watched?


IMG_4278

See, this would have been much more effective with red cake. If I were making these for a party and not for pictures, red velvet would be the way to go.


IMG_4216V


So when I made these eyeball cake pops, I decided to do a little more playing around.


IMG_4496

And I made little spiders crawling all over the cake pops. Well, they look kinda like spiders. Or m&m’s with eyelashes. But given on Halloween, people would get it.
I used black m&m’s for the bodies and attached to the pop while the coating was still wet.
And after the coating set, I used black jimmies for the…


IMG_4589

Creepy!
You can just use your black edible ink pen to draw the legs on the stick and melted white candy coating to attach the m&m’s.


IMG_4487


Creepy. Crawly. Cute.
Then I made another version – going for spiders that are a little more spooky than sweet.


IMG_4400

Hmmm. Still kinda cute.
They need to be spookified.


IMG_4565

That’s better. A toothpick and a little melted red candy coating did the trick for these treats.
Look at those beady little eyes.


IMG_4625

These are pretty easy, too. The spider bodies are black licorice buttons.
I get licorice mix* like this at the Fresh Market, but they are available at most places that sell candy by the scoop.
For the spider heads, I used black coated sunflower seeds. (keep your eyes open in stores… you’ll stumble on seasonal sunflower seeds like these)
And jimmies for the legs.
Attach the bodies while the coating is still wet and the legs after it sets.


IMG_4556

Hope you have fun making these.


IMG_4242
See ya later.
I know … dorky, but I couldn’t resist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl