Skip to main content

HOW TO MAKE A LAYER CAKE!!

   This nice tutorial comes from www.iambaker.net .  Truely a master of her craft!



How to Build a Layer Cake

One of the most common emails I get is “Can you do a tutorial on how to make a layer cake?”
And while I am no expert, I would love to share the tips and tricks that I use!







This is the SUPER FAST and EASY version.
Use a good recipe. This can be a box mix or your favorite homemade recipe. You are looking for a cake the bakes up flat and even and moist and firm. Easy right?
Just in case your cake does not bake evenly, have no fear! You can simply level your cake. There are three easy ways to do that:
Use leveler or a long serrated knife to skim off the top dome part of your cake.
If your cake has risen above the edges of your cake pan, you can rest the knife on the edges of the pan and use the pan as your guide.
As soon as your cake is done cooking, take a clean towel and lay it on top of your cake. Press gently and evenly. Tip: This only works if your cake is done cooking! So make sure you test it.
Make sure all your layers are the same height. 







Chill your layers before assembly. I find that working with a chilled or partially frozen cakes really helps. There is nothing worse than trying to assemble a layer cake and having it fall into pieces in your hands. And you totally know I am speaking from experience.
There are many methods to torting, or using frosting in between the layers of your cake. I like to do what is easiest and whatever method requires as few tools as necessary. (Yes, you may call it what it is. Lazy.)








I just decide before hand how thick I want my layer to be and then use an appropriate amount of frosting. One half cup is a nice thin layer on an 8in cake, but 1 cup of frosting is my go-to amount. I like frosting. Lots of it.
I typically use about a cup of frosting on a 6in as well as an 8in cake. I dont recommend that. You be normal and use less on that 6in cake, ok?
Place your first layer on your cake stand. Put frosting on it and use a small offset spatula to make frosting an even layer.
Place your next layer on top. Some frosting should “spill out” the sides and that is ok. Repeat this process; frosting, layer of cake, frosting, layer of cake, until you have added all your layers.
When making a layer cake it is important to do a crumb coat.
A crumb coat is simply a thin layer of frosting applied to a cake. The crumb coat is intended to seal in crumbs, hence the name, crumb coat. I talk more about it here, or you can watch a video here.
Some frosting may have spilled out, or your layers may not be perfectly aligned, or maybe your cake is slightly lopsided. Doing a crumb coat is a great opportunity to fill in any problem areas.








Use an offset spatula. I put a dollop on top of the cake and then use the spatula to bring it down over the sides, making sure to get the frosting all the way to to bottom.
If you have a rotating cake stand, you can place your spatula flat against the cake and slowly turn the stand. This will help smooth out the frosting and create an even coat.
Once your cake is covered in the crumb coat, I usually chill it. I like the cake the settle and the frosting to set.







To decorate a cake, I start by putting a smooth layer of frosting on. This is done the same way as the crumb coat. Place a dollop on top of the cake and pull it down over the sides using an offset spatula.
To smooth out sides, make sure cake is covered in an even layer of frosting, then place spatula flat against side of cake. Slowly turning cake, smooth out layer of frosting until you have polished, even coat.
This step takes practice, so don’t be too hard on yourself if it doesn’t look perfect. Just keep at it until you are comfortable with how your cake looks!
I have also placed my cake stand directly on a rotating stand, and this helps me when smoothing out the edges.


Because I want everyone to enjoy cake decorating and hope to make it as easy as possible, I am giving away some of the tools that I frequently use!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl