This extra-moist recipe is loaded with ripe bananas and ready for you to steal a quick bite. February 23rd is National Banana Bread Day, so do your patriotic duty and get to baking. Your taste buds will thank you.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium-size ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- 2. Stir together bananas and next 4 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in walnuts.
- 3. Pour batter into a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Serve with light whipped cream cheese, if desired.