These pretty, heart-shaped cakes are perfect for the kids to make.
- 2cupsall purpose flour
- 1teaspoonbaking powder
- 3/4teaspooncoarse kosher salt
- 4large eggs
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- 1/2cupunsalted butter, melted, warm
- 1cupwhole milk, room temperature
- Raspberry jam or fruit spread
- Purchased lemon curd
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line heavy 18x12x1-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk first 3 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl until very pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in butter, then milk. Fold in flour mixture, then beat just until blended, about 30 seconds. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean and cake begins to color on top, 26 to 28 minutes. Cool cake completely on baking sheet on rack.
- Using 4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 8 hearts from cake (cover and reserve leftover cake). Spread thin layer of jam over top of 1 cake heart. Spread 1 heaping teaspoon of lemon curd over; top with another cake heart. Repeat with remaining hearts, jam, and lemon curd. Sprinkle each with powdered sugar.