Quantcast
DECK THE HOLIDAY'S: DIY DECOUPAGE PUMPKINS!!!!

Friday, July 26, 2013

DIY DECOUPAGE PUMPKINS!!!!






That late summer/early fall feeling is beginning at my house! The cicadas are singing and my ginger lilies are beginning to bloom...always a sign that fall is on the way! And I have also noticed that interest in fall is beginning to pick up around blogland and on Pinterest, too.  Hey...you need a little lead time to create your fall decor! Sooo...I decided I would do a little series of posts on my most popular fall projects for those who may have missed them or who are new to my blog. And first on my list are these...…my Country Living inspired d├ęcoupage pumpkins! I knew this would be my next project when I spied...





countrylivingpumpkins




...this on the cover of their October 2011 issue! Isn’t this simply gorgeous?  I love the way the pumpkins look as though they have been covered with fabric even though it is actually paper!  Sooo...the magazine hopped in my cart and went straight home with me! Next, I went right to work assembling what I needed. And, as luck would have it, just about everything was half price at Michael’s…including the cream fauxpumpkins!





I decided that a few things about my pumpkins would be different from those inCountry Living. First, I chose a damask pattern rather than toile for one of them. There’s already so much toile in my house and I wanted these pumpkins to stand out. And then, I also decided that I would use the cream pumpkins just as they are rather than paint them white. That just fits better with my decor. Other than that, for the most part, I followed their instructions, found online here.




page





For the damask pumpkin:  


1. I chose a fabric with a simple damask pattern that would be easy to work with…Premier Prints Avery in Greenage…and bought just enough to have one repeat of the design. I scanned and printed it, making several copies. Remember…you are working with paper copies of fabric…not fabric!
2. Next, I cut them out and spaced them according to the design, taping them to the pumpkin. 
3. I removed the tape and attached each piece of the design to the pumpkin one by one, using matte finish Mod Podge…my new BFF. (Mine was a 25 cent yard sale find.) The process requires some finesse and patience and, quite honestly, it helps if you have some experience with d├ęcoupaging  spheres.
4. Give the pumpkin a thin all-over coat, let dry and you are done! 
This was the easiest one, so if you only want one, I suggest this one!




page1




The calico print pumpkin was a little harder:


1. I couldn’t find any fabric that would do, so I bought scrap booking paper and scanned and printed it since scrap booking paper is too thick and hard to work with. 
2. I cut lengthwise pieces about  1 1/2 inches wide, working within the pattern. I attached them with Mod Podge as before. It helps to cut alternating notches about 1/3 of the way in to allow for the curves of the pumpkin.
3. Eventually, the strips got off a little and I had to straighten them back up by piecing in a few odd shapes. Here, you can see an empty spot I am about to cover. 
4. Once again, I finished with another final all-over coat of Mod Podge and…taa daa! It’s not perfect, but all of the pumpkins seemed to have at least one really good side…thank goodness!





015





The vintage-y pumpkin quilt design was downloaded from Country Living’s web site. I followed their instructions and measured and calculated the size and number of designs I would need and adjusted. A program such as Photoscape…free to download…was really helpful here, since I had to adjust the color a little also.  I found it helpful to make small pencil marks on the pumpkin for the top and bottom of the design.  The little yellow lines are perfect places to cut in some notches to allow for the curve of the pumpkin. If it’s not perfect, it’s OK since you can’t see all sides of the pumpkin at once!  A final coat of Mod Podge to the whole pumpkin and you are through!




stand




I didn't have a suitable stand for the pumpkins, so I made my own by painting a small flower pot and a larger saucer and hot-gluing them together. They were also half-price at Michael’s! I used an ivory spray paint since my pumpkins are cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment