Skip to main content

DIY LARGE SNOWFLAKES!

This diy comes form www.craftynest.com .  These would make cool wall decor during Christmas.  Also add a little clear or white glitter to give them a little more sparkle.



Giant Craft Stick Snowflakes



Giant white craft stick snowflakes
Giant red craft stick snowflakes


I could hardly wait to show you this Popsicle stick craft! These snowflakes are fun, easy, and so inexpensive to make. The smallest snowflake is 12 inches across; the largest is 24 inches. I had some rhinestones left over from my Christmas tree advent calendar, so I glued some at the tips of each white snowflake. You could also coat them in glitter or fake snow. And why stop with snowflakes? You could make stars, wreaths, or Christmas trees decked with lightweight ornaments. Hang them in your window, over a door instead of a wreath, or from the ceiling.

How to make giant craft stick snowflakes


Supplies and tools
  • craft sticks
  • protractor
  • hot glue gun and glue
  • fishing line
  • clear cellophane tape
  • 3/8- to 1/2-inch-wide holiday ribbon
  • red and white paint (I used Benjamin Moore Aura Steam [AF-15] and Caliente [AF-290])
  • round 12mm rhinestones
  • scissors
  • double-stick foam tape
  • small paintbrush
  • drop cloth or newspaper


All my snowflakes are based on three basic patterns, which I will call star, hexagon, and rotated hexagon.

The Star



star - step 1

1. Start by gluing six craft sticks in an asterisk shape at 30 degree angles. Use a protractor to make sure your angles are accurate.


star - step 2

2. Then add the points to the star.


star - step 3
DIY giant snowflake - star pattern
3. Finally, depending on the pattern, add the final craft sticks to complete the snowflake.

The Hexagon



star - step 1

1A. Start by gluing six craft sticks in an asterisk shape at 30 degree angles. Use a protractor to make sure your angles are accurate.


mini hexagon


1B. For the mini hexagon, start with three craft sticks instead of six.



hexagon - step 1


2. Add more sticks to expand the lengths.


hexagon - step 3


3. Glue six sticks in a hexagon shape, then glue each point of the hexagon to your asterisk shape.


hexagon - step 4
hexagon - step 4 alternate
rotated hexagon - step 3 alternate

4. Finally, depending on the pattern, add the final craft sticks to complete the snowflake.

The Rotated Hexagon



rotated hexagon - step 1

1. Start by gluing six craft sticks in an asterisk shape at 30 degree angles. Use a protractor to make sure your angles are accurate.


rotated hexagon - step 4


2. Glue six sticks in a hexagon shape, then glue the middle of each side of the hexagon to your asterisk shape.


rotated hexagon - step 3

3. Finally, add the final craft sticks to complete the snowflake.


paint the snowflakes

1. Using a small paintbrush, paint two coats of paint on each side, including the edges. I recommend spray paint instead because it’s easier and faster, but severe weather prohibited spray paint in my case. Let dry.


glue rhinestones


2. Glue rhinestones onto the tips of the snowflakes. Or glue on glitter or fake snow. Let dry/cool.


hang snowflakes in window


3. To hang them in the window, tie fishing line to each snowflake. Tape the fishing line to the top of the window frame with clear cellophane tape.


hang on the wall

4. To hang them on the wall, tie a small ribbon bow to the snowflake, then tie a longer piece of ribbon to the back of the bow. Attach the long ribbon with double-stick foam tape at the very top of the wall

Comments

  1. Two of my grandchildren are making these right now! This is very aesthetically pleasing, as well as being a FUN math game with the protractor! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. This is one of my favorite crafts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

DIY GLASS CHRISTMAS TREES!

   This diy comes from www.alderberryhill.blogspot.com .  These are very cool and look like an upper end designer look.  Start your Christmas decor now and you will have time to relax later when the holidays do arrive! Glass Christmas Trees Happy Weekend Everyone! Christmas crafting is in full swing for everyone by now and I am enjoying the crafting season as well. I love the color turquoise and am trying to work it into my Christmas decor. Here is my latest turquoise creation. Glass Christmas Trees And here is how I put them together. What you will need for the project: Styrofoam cones or stack trees. Craft paint Brush Glue gun Glue sticks Glass bowl fillers (the ones that are flat on the bottom). The process is so simple. Paint the styrofoam, let dry Glue on the glass I glued the glass on using a brick laying technique. The second row started at the seam of two glass pieces, not directly above the one below it. Sometimes