Skip to main content

MAKING CANDY BUTTONS TO DECORATE YOUR SUGAR CONFECTIONS!

 

   This recipe and diy comes from www.whatwillwedotoday.com .  Making them your self is better than buying them from the store and what a better way of making sugar treats than with your children. Good luck!

 

Recipe: Candy Buttons (Candy Dots)



Remember the strips of colored candy dots on paper? You would strip the candy off with your teeth, and end up with just a little bit of paper in your mouth? If you had siblings, you just might nibble the paper into a small weapon? (I wouldn’t do that, of course, but SOMEONE might).
Well, that started me thinking. Wouldn’t it be cool to make candy buttons? Perfect for movie night.
I was lucky I had this idea when I had willing helpers (my beautiful and talented nieces Miranda and Monica). If you are lucky, you will find some willing helpers as well.









You don’t need a lot of ingredients. This picture features several food coloring and extract choices, but really I would think four colors would be fine. You will notice I have parchment paper on this picture. Do NOT use parchment, the dots will fall right off. I ultimately used computer paper from a fresh ream of paper.

Recipe: Candy Buttons

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp Meringue powder (or 2 egg whites)
  • 6 tbsp Water
  • 1/4 tsp Almond extract (use vanilla, lemon, peppermint, coconut for different flavors)
  • 1 pound confectioners' sugar (1 pound = 7 cups)
  • decorator bags or sandwich bags (1 for each color)
  • food coloring I used gel, but any kind will do. Four colors is about right)
  • paper cut into 2 3/4" by 10" strips.

Instructions




  • If you are using egg whites, separate the eggs.




  • Perfect. Now you have some egg yolks for....how about lemon curd?




  • Whip together the confectioners' sugar and the egg whites (or meringue powder and water) on low speed for one minute.
  • If you have a stand mixer, this is the time to use it. Your arm will get tired with a hand mixer (although, if you switch hands, you might be able to count it as an exercise).




  • Add the flavoring and about 1/2 of the water. You may wish to add more water later to get this to the right consistency, but start out with a little less then you think you need.




  • Whip mixture for 10 minutes on high speed. If the icing is too thick, think it out with drops of water until it is the consistency of sour cream. A drop should hold it's shape and slowly smooth out to create a smooth button.
  • While the mixer is whipping the icing, cut strips of paper into 2 3/4" by 10" strips.
  • You may want to use a template for candy dots if you wish.




  • If you are using gel paste, you don't need to use much. I used bamboo skewers to get just a dab of the food coloring.




  • Isn't this pretty? Maybe that's why I used bamboo skewers, it just looks so pretty while I am mixing it.




  • This just makes me feel good.




  • Divide the icing into small bowls. One bowl for each color.




  • Pour each color into a decorator bag or sandwich bag and seal.




  • Tip: Put the bag into a glass with the edges folded over the rim to easily fill with icing.




  • Cut a VERY small corner off of each bag.




  • Squeeze a drop of icing at a time onto the paper.




  • You might want to place the strip of paper on top of a template, so you can see where to place each drop evenly.




  • This may seem tedious, but it is actually very satisfying. Very much like popping bubble wrap. Only sweeter.




  • Doesn't this look wonderful? And the candy looks good too!! (Come on. I'm Dear Sweet Aunt Jill. I HAVE to be cheesy).



  • Place the strips on baking sheets in a cool dry place, uncovered, to dry overnight.



  • Once the candy has dried, you can place the strips in a zipper bag or airtight container.



  • You can store the leftover "icing" in the refrigerator in plastic bags.
  • This recipe makes a LOT, and it would sure be a shame to waste any of this....Right?



It is much easier to make these if you have a template underneath the paper. Here is the template I used.
Candy Button Template
Enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl