Skip to main content

CHRISTMAS TREE MERINGUE COOKIES!!

Christmas Tree Meringue Cookies

I’m all over the place with desserts lately, aren’t I? But you should know by now that I switch between whimsical and rustic desserts like the Kardashians go in out of the news. These are easy to make and even more fun to receive, because-who doesn’t like a bit of whimsy during the holidays? For shipping, I would suggest finishing the meringue  cookies with something less fragile like a red M&M or Sixlet, rather than the piped chocolate stars.







Meringues are one of those desserts that I always associate with the holidays, even though I don’t eat them. Nope, this is one of the few desserts that I don’t like. But guess who does?
Matt, the p-i-c-k-i-e-s-t eater I know. Seriously, five out of ten meals gets a no-pass, as in it never sees a second breathe of life.
So how is it that he likes meringue? I have no idea, but thank goodness someone in our house likes meringues to test them for me. I’m happy to say these got a huge thumbs up from him, so from my kitchen to yours I hope you guys like them just as much.
A few notes:
  • To color the meringue, I used Americolor’s Electric Green, but any green will work. Just make sure that you start slowly with the color by adding in one drop at a time. The meringue may start fall, but keep mixing it will come back to form shortly.
  • Make sure to add in the mint extract in the beginning and not at the end or you will ruin meringue to the point of no return. The oil from the mint extract will zap it into a liquefied mess.
  • Store finished meringues in an airtight container in the freezer.

CHRISTMAS TREE MERINGUES

Preparation: Line bake sheet with parchment and heat oven to 200 degrees F.
Ingredients:
Meringue Cookie:
  • 4 eggs whites
  • 1 cup sugar
  • Pinch of tartar
  • 1/8 teaspoon of mint extract
  • 2-4 drops of green food coloring

Chocolate Stars:
  • 2 oz. melted chocolate
Instructions:
Meringue Cookie:
  1. Place sugar, egg whites and tartar in a bowl over (not directly on) simmering water. Constantly whisk the egg whites until the sugar has dissolved.
  2. Pour the egg mixture into a clean bowl and add mint extract. Using a whisk attachment on a stand mixer or a hand held mixture, slowly beat egg mixture on medium low. Once mixture is no longer opaque, add in green food coloring. Increase speed and continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed. Mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peak when removed.
  3. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a close or open star tip and pipe ½ inch to ¾ inch wide cookies, making sure to set them one inch apart from one another.  Bake at 200 degrees F for 2 hours, then turn off oven and leave the door slightly ajar for meringues to cool down with the oven.  Store meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture. Alternatively, store them in the freezer where they can be enjoyed straight from the freezer without any defrosting.
Chocolate Stars:
  1. Line bake sheet with parchement paper. Place melted chocolate in a pastry bag fitted with a number two round tip or place melted chocolate in a plastic bag and cut a small hole in a corner and pipe chocolate into star shape. Chill piped chocolate stars in the refrigerator until ready to use. (If you are nervous about free-handing the stars, place a sheet with a star pattern underneath the parchment paper and pipe chocolate over the outline).
Assembly:
1. To place the stars on the meringue cookies, squeeze a dallop of cooled melted chocolate on top and then place chocolate stars in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl