Skip to main content

THE UPSIDE DOWN CHRISTMAS TREE: TACKY OR TRENDY??


   The upside down Christmas tree is one of the strangest trends seen in a while.  There are some people who probably like the idea.  An upside down Christmas tree is just a matter of personal preference, some people love the newest trends while others prefer traditional decor.  How long will the upside down Christmas tree be popular?  Only the consumer knows for sure, after all, we do determine such trends.  If people stay fascinated with the upside down Christmas tree, then it will become a mainstay.  If the upside down Christmas tree is ignored by consumers because it is just too bizarre,  then it will go away just like any fad.  I am a traditionalist myself.



   Every retailer that is selling the upside down Christmas tree is quick to point out that the tradition came from the 12th Century in Central Europe.  They would hang the Christmas tree upside down from the ceiling instead of right side up.  The meaning behind using an evergreen tree was the triangular shape symbolizing the Father, Son and The Holy Spirit.  No matter which way the tree is placed, a triangle is a triangle.  The tree can lay on the floor if someone prefers, it's still a triangle.  You can't blame the retailer for going with the current trends if it  makes them a little extra money and makes someone else happy to have found it.



   Some people believe the reason behind the upside down Christmas tree is possibly sinister, and the only explanation for its resurgence must be an evil one.  Placing a Christmas tree in the upright positions points toward the heavens, so if the Christmas tree is upside down, the tree top is obviously pointing in the opposite direction.  Why would anyone purchase an upside down Christmas in the direction of perdition?  I just think it will be something trendy or chic, for people who want to be different. There is nothing wrong with being different and not conforming to everyone elses picture of a Christmas tree.



    Retailers who are selling the upside down Christmas trees state the benefits of placing a tree this way as:  It's simple, with the wide part of the triangle up in the air, it makes more room available for presents, and it also let's those prized ornaments and other decorations hang out instead of into the tree.  The artificial upside down Christmas tree is more expensive.  A decent one goes for anywhere between 350 dollars and all of the way up to over 600 dollars for an averages sized 7 1/2  foot tree.



   Retailers are also proclaiming the space saving commodities of the upside down Christmas tree.  If you're worried about room just get a slim tree.  I can also see the good points to someone who collects ornaments as a hobby, it lets them hang down better, because of the triangular shape of the upside down Christmas tree getting smaller as you go down the tree.  This would be very good for showing off that prized  collection you couldn't hang before.  Whichever direction your Christmas tree is pointing, it's all about the spirit and the enjoyment of the holiday season,  everyone makes his or her own choices and preferences whether other people like them or not.  Like I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with doing something different, maybe it will become a new tradition in your family for many Christmas's to come.

Comments

  1. they are so tacky you dont go in the woods and see trees sitting like that do you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO tacky. I would NEVER put a tree like that in my house... XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got to remember. To each his own, someones tacky is anotherones trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you must be tack. so tacky. if i was your mother i would ground you for the next 13 years. but then again another moms punishment is another person is tacky.

      Delete
  4. a way for them to deny christ again like the upside down cross and the inverted star of david

    ReplyDelete
  5. Upside down christmas tree is a sign of trinity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, it makes no difference which way the tree goes. IMHO the upside down tree is as good looking as any tree. The last I knew Christmas was about the celebration of Christ's birth, not about how the tree is placed, or the star of david being inverted, or even being shown upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It isn't 'my' thing... but the fuss about it being sinister in inspiration is short-sighted. We have placed Christian meanings on so many things about Christmas that never had anything to do with celebrating the Savior's birth. First, Jesus was born during lambing (in the spring - not winter). Secondly, the Catholic church began Christmas as a competitor to the pagan winter solstice. Thirdly, the tree was probably a leftover from these same celebrations where evergreen has long been associated with eternal life in Egyptian and Chinese cultures... not necessarily Judeo-Christian. I wouldn't be surprised if turning the tree upside down for some is a way of spurning what they believe to be traditional Christian values (check the bible if you want genuine Christian values - I don't see anything about the right way to place your Christmas tree. Oh, that's right. The Christmas tree isn't in the bible). But as a trending fad I believe it is simply a new way of trying to express creativity and spark fresh ideas from classic forms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The very beginning of the upside down Christmas tree was for people to hand their favorite ornaments on their tree so they could be seen instead of being hidden by the branches. I don't know how it got to being a non Christian thing. Just like a regular tree it is there to adorn with your favorite ornaments and decorations on your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I certainly don't believe that it's a moral thing, one way or the other. However, if you are asking my personal opinion, I believe that it certainly is "trendy" and it is definitely "tacky." I am a "traditionalist" even in my decorating. So, no, I wouldn't place my Christmas Tree what to me is upside down. If that floats someone else's boat, I suppose that's OK. However, if you invite me for dinner, I can guarantee that I will be totally distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really care for it either. I'm a traditional type of person too. These past couple of years I have had to give up my tree decorating to the rest of my family they said I was taking over all of the decorating. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the Swarovski star and snowflake ornaments and they show up much better on the upside down tree. I have the tree in a revolving stand to show all the ornaments. At first we kind of laughed about the tree but now we really like it.. also lots of room for the gifts.
    Its also great in smaller areas if you need extra room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I THINK THE UPSIDE OF THESE TREES, LIKE YOU MENTIONED, IS TO SHOW OF ALL OF YOUR BEATIFUL ORNAMENTS. THANKS FOR THE COMMENT.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl